As you would have seen recently, I've been painting up a bunch of Liberation Miniatures figures to look something like some Royal Marine Commandos. I've been basically quite happy with how they have turned out and am pleased with how the DPM smocks look.
Fiddling around with the figures, I was trying to work out how easy it would be to form 2 platoons of the Marines, by levening them with some helmet wearing BAOR figures. Turns out it was very easy - but the bases didn't match. And I needed to paint a few "new" additional figures.
OK - so looking at the bases of the old figures I decided that I'd just scrap off the Woodlands Scenics turf I had on the bases, paint them up to my current standard and add some static grass. Sounds like a 5 minute job... Then onto the new figures.
So, that's what I did - up to the adding static grass stage. Then the more I looked at the old figures - painted in 2010 - the more I didn't like them - or at least the more I didn't like their DPM uniforms. So - I decided to repaint them, up to today's standard - only the DPM mind you - I mean, how long could that take! Until that was done, I'd just put the "new" figures to one side.
As previously, the aim was to have them look something like this:
So - in order to show you how things went - here is a set of comparison photos. Obviously my photography has improved a little, and the background and lighting has changed for the better (I think), but I've tried to match the figures in each photo.
2010 Radio Operators
2016 Radio Operators
2010 Bren gunners
2016 Bren gunners
2010 GPMG gunners
2016 GPMG gunners
2010 Carl Gustav gunners
2016 Carl Gustav Gunners
2010 Officers with Sterling SMGs
2016 Officers with Sterling SMGs
So there you go. Hopefully you'll agree with me that this was not time wasted... At least I think they look a bit better, and more importantly - they now fit in with the rest of my British forces.