Once again it's been a while. Preparations for Christmas, visitors and then my wife managing to severely break her ankle just before New Year has meant a pretty busy couple of months for me, and not much time for anything too gamey.
I did have a couple of moments of purchase based stress relief which brings me to today's topic. For a while now I've wanted to get some kind of Soviet tank transporter/trailer. I've been looking at the TAKOM offering, which seems quite nice:
To cut a long story short, one day when randomly having a look around, I stumbled across this kit by 4D Models:
The box arrived remarkedly quickly from China, a little battered but nothing inside was any worse off. Here's a look at the back of the box:
The other parts are as below:
The tractor goes together very simply and gives a nice simple wargaming standard model.
The trailer was actually even easier and together, I think they look pretty damn good.
Now of course I checked to see if the S-300 missiles fit on the trailer as they should - and yes indeed they do! Just for the hell of it I also took out a T-72 to see how it looked on the trailer.
Sorry about the generally crappy photos!
So review time. First the positives:
- Super cheap
- Ridiculously easy to put together
- Solid wargamers kit
- Scales well
- Basically does what it says on the tin
- If you were really really lazy you could almost get away with out painting it! Oh the horror!!
- It's pretty chunky and there is of course a lack of fine detail, but personally I think the positive of being a solid (rather than fragile) kit outweigh that
- Sink marks. There are quite a few sink marks on this kit. Some I'm happy to ignore, but some are in quite prominent positions. I guess all up I can live with them and hopefully hide most of them!
- The metal rods - while perfectly useful and much better than plastic, unless I'm doing it wrong, they are to long for the wheels on the trailer. A relatively easy fix, but until that is done it makes the trailer look a bit toy like.
So all in all, for what I want it for I am very happy with my purchase. Really its a bit of unnecessary frippery but I do have a very minor role in a game planned for it and I just think it's cool to have it. I'm not sure it would have any real use as a tank transporter in a standard wargame - but will be useful scenery if some "behind Soviet lines" type games.
Now I just need to sort out my many painting issues and get on and paint it.
Thanks and belated Happy New Year