25 June 2010

General Work-In-Progress Update

I'm trying to add to the blog at least once weekly. Rather than something totally completed (maybe a completed item to be posted tomorrow) this week is simply another work-in-progress report

Recently I made my first order with S&S in the UK. From ordering & paying to arrival here in Oz was basically 1 week. Pretty impressive.

I ordered two Soviet/WARPAC vehicles - a ZSU-23-4 (Shilka) and a MTLB. Both were specifically ordered for a particular mission - but both can be used for more than that mission alone. The Shilka was a fairly common (and excellent) triple-A vehicle while the MTLB was a common troop transport, artillery tow etc.

Here's how they come in their little plastic bags:

Photobucket
ZSU-23-4

Photobucket
MTLB

These are the components unbagged:

Photobucket
ZSU-23-4

Photobucket
MTLB

You'll see that the MTLB had a small break on the front fender. This was easily fixed.

Before I started to put them together I washed all the peices in warm soapy water.

Relatively simple to put together - well the MTLB was simplicity itself:

Photobucket
MTLB

The ZSU-23-4 was a little more difficult. I say that because of kind of think I stuffed up the guns. It made sense at the time but looking at it now - I think I got it wrong. Radar supports had to be bent a little but apart from that was simply than the guns.

Photobucket
Shilka

There are a few casting bubbles - but nothing particularly significant. I'm yet to decide whether to do something about them of simply ignore them...

So that's it for now - lots of work to do here!

Have fun

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment