Once again it's been a while. Preparations for Christmas, visitors and then my wife managing to severely break her ankle just before New Year has meant a pretty busy couple of months for me, and not much time for anything too gamey.
I did have a couple of moments of purchase based stress relief which brings me to today's topic. For a while now I've wanted to get some kind of Soviet tank transporter/trailer. I've been looking at the TAKOM offering, which seems quite nice:
To cut a long story short, one day when randomly having a look around, I stumbled across this kit by 4D Models:
The box arrived remarkedly quickly from China, a little battered but nothing inside was any worse off. Here's a look at the back of the box:
The other parts are as below:
The tractor goes together very simply and gives a nice simple wargaming standard model.
The trailer was actually even easier and together, I think they look pretty damn good.
Now of course I checked to see if the S-300 missiles fit on the trailer as they should - and yes indeed they do! Just for the hell of it I also took out a T-72 to see how it looked on the trailer.
Sorry about the generally crappy photos!
So review time. First the positives:
- Super cheap
- Ridiculously easy to put together
- Solid wargamers kit
- Scales well
- Basically does what it says on the tin
- If you were really really lazy you could almost get away with out painting it! Oh the horror!!
- It's pretty chunky and there is of course a lack of fine detail, but personally I think the positive of being a solid (rather than fragile) kit outweigh that
- Sink marks. There are quite a few sink marks on this kit. Some I'm happy to ignore, but some are in quite prominent positions. I guess all up I can live with them and hopefully hide most of them!
- The metal rods - while perfectly useful and much better than plastic, unless I'm doing it wrong, they are to long for the wheels on the trailer. A relatively easy fix, but until that is done it makes the trailer look a bit toy like.
So all in all, for what I want it for I am very happy with my purchase. Really its a bit of unnecessary frippery but I do have a very minor role in a game planned for it and I just think it's cool to have it. I'm not sure it would have any real use as a tank transporter in a standard wargame - but will be useful scenery if some "behind Soviet lines" type games.
Now I just need to sort out my many painting issues and get on and paint it.
Thanks and belated Happy New Year
Does it transport reloads? Or does it have some capacity to erect and fire the missiles? Cool looking bit of kit. I'm actually a big fan of the non combat military gear for gaming.ReplyDelete
Yes - all this vehicle does is transport reloads. It needs another truck - the NPP Start 22T6/22T6E2 Transloader to actually lift and load the S-300 missile tubes onto the actual TEL that can launch them.ReplyDelete
Looking great Richard. Sorry to hear about the wife.ReplyDelete
We are still playing your rules twice a month!
Thanks Zach. Very chuffed to hear that. Where are you playing?Delete
Kansas City, USADelete