30 July 2022

Rapier SAM System

 It's been very cold lately, so any desire to go into my freezing garage and take pics has been easily squashed.  Today wasn't so bad, and I had found all the bits for this little Rapier SAM Troop, so I decided to give it a go.

Here is the Rapier in action:

This is an S&S Models Rapier SAM.  S&S can provide you with an entire troop, emplaced or in the open (like this one), including all the vehicles etc.  Here I have used the launcher (with 4 missiles as per the 1980s) which comes with a small generator and the Blindfire Radar - which also comes with its own generator.  I have both of mine in the deployed position, but you could easily have them made up to look like they are being towed.

Here's a couple of close-ups, along with the vehicle that would have towed them:


The crewed optical tracker and the chaps saying look over there! both come from Armybits and were provided to me, very kindly, by Keith Armstrong, the designer.  I fiddled with them to convert them from 15mm to 20mm, which was a bit of fun.  Here's a couple of close-ups of them:



Finally, I found a Rapier resupply trailer (here) on the Wargaming3D website designed by VJM787 - who I'll just let you know is also a lovely chap - and printed it and a couple of piles of missiles - to go in the trailer and in a neat stack on the ground covered in a cam net.  Here you go:


Here's the trailer being towed by a Land Rover FFR.

Finally the "squeeze together" group shot.


So finally I have a Towed Rapier system and a Tracked Rapier system.  My British battlefield SAM systems are complete!

Thanks for looking

Richard

4 comments:

  1. Lovely pieces of kit. AA units rarely get on the table, especially towed missile units like this. Thanks for mentioning sources as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate. You are right about towed SAM units in games. I just need to come up with a decent scenario now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have missed it but who makes these in 15mm ? Also, I found an excellent 3D printed Soviet GAZ 66 light truck that looks pretty good for a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ronster. Army Bits does a Rapier SAM system in 15mm. Richard

    ReplyDelete