30 April 2022

I'M BACK!!!

 Well, well, well.  Finally I've made it back online.  The last 6+ months have been very interesting, a wee bit stressful from time to time, and a bit of an adventure too.  We have finally been able to move from Australia to New Zealand, fly the dog over, buy a house, eventually have all of our goods and chattels arrive, and start to get on with our lives for the first time really in a few years now.

I'm very excited to have the energy and headspace again to commit to the blog, and I hope it will become regularly updated again from now on.  On of the great things about our new home is that not only will I have my own office again (read, Modelling & Painting Room), and we'll have a room dedicated as a library - but I'll also get a "proper" gaming room (read, the garage!).

One thing I wanted to do before we left Sydney was to take a photo of all my gaming "junk" boxed up.  Of course that never happened, but I was able to take a couple of pics today.  Here it all is:



So this is not quite everything.  None of the boxes of books or rulebooks are in the shot, some boxed games are missing, all my paints are kind of inaccessible at the moment, my one battalion sized army bag full of my best painted minis are in another room.  My 3D printer is also out of reach right now.  Still it's interesting to see 30+ years of collecting bits and pieces all broken down and put into storage.

Right now I'm relatively sure nothing too important has been broken, beyond what I broke packing stuff.  Which was a bit!

So I'm now officially semi-retired, and once the house is straightened out completely, the library shelving built, a new office desk bought, my office sorted - I'll then be able to start to put together my Games Room.  A real project to look forward to.

So I hope you're all doing well and ready for some Cold War gamey goodness, plus some other wargames room related updates over the next few months.

Onwards and upwards

Richard




13 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It's pretty astounding how big the collection can get when removed from it's 'natural' (stored) habitat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave - that sounds like something my wife would say! I just keep saying it's really not that much compared to others...

      Delete
    2. My wife was astonished what I'd squirelled away in closets when we finally moved from an apartment to a house.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back!! Good luck with the remainder of the move details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stan. Much appreciated. Good times ahead

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! I'm feeling much better about my wargaming pile having seen your impressive edifice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim - it's the amount of uncompleted stuff in the stash that is the most embarrassing and will give me quite a few years entertainment now I'm retired.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back, where abouts in NZ did you move to? I'm in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieran. I grew up in Auckland but now have moved almost as far away as you can get, to Dunedin

      Delete
  5. Welcome back to the interwebs! And great to see you will be getting lots of hobby space as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome (back?) to NZ! We did the move in Nov. 2019, just before COVID hit. Hell of a job shifting all the hobby stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're telling me! Unpacking seems in some ways worse than packing. I gave away all my shelves etc and now have to start from scratch working out where to stick it all...

      Delete