21 February 2018

My Unofficial Battlegroup: Cold War - Soviet VDV Desant Division Battlegroup List

So - much to my embarrassment - here is another list that I had forgotten about....

Turns out it was a lot more finished than I remembered - even more finished than the West German Jaeger list.

I do need to explain that I have split the Soviet VDV into two lists - a Desant list and an Air Assault list.  The first ( the one I'm sharing today) is a paratrooper, jump from planes or land in planes list, while the latter is all about helicopters and so in addition tot he VDV will also include DShB troops.

It's how it worked in my head so I'm sticking to it!

Anyway... here it is

Soviet Desant Division Battlegroup

Let me know what you think.  As always I'll replicate this in the bar on the side.

Thanks

Richard

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Richard, at last, a reason to build a VDV list.

    One question, wouldn't the VDV merit veteran status given their combat experience through the 80s in Afghanistan and should they have the option to upgrade to elite (I'm sure they'd have considered themselves elite). Just realised, that's two questions!

    Thanks again,

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did think about it but I came down on the side that even though they were VDV they were still largely conscripts. Sure they were better trained conscripts than all the rest but still conscripts. My understanding was the VDV were considered by the Kremlin to be way more politically reliable than the rest of the Soviet soldiery - hence their use in pretty much every Soviet post war intervention.

    I'd consider giving them the option to be upgraded to Veteran at additional cost.

    The only elite Soviet units in the game would be Spetznaz type units.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete